Well it’s been a tough job doing all this research, but someone’s gotta do it right? I wouldn’t call us holiday heroes or anything, but you certainly could! Maybe a nice little trophy or simple sky writing to that effect too? But that’s IT! Otherwise it’s going to get embarrassing.
The kids and I have been busy all month long watching Christmas movies on our Roku 3 that we stream from Netflix. It may have worked a bit too well though – Maggie is demanding a Christmas tree and this evening she was sobbing in my lap about spring. I think she is worried that we have somehow missed Christmas and Easter is approaching.
So far we have watched:
- Christmas with the Kranks – approximately 87 times
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- Fred Claus
- Arthur Christmas
- A Very Minty Christmas – someone has watched that one but no one is owning up to it!
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – that one was just me while I tried to make dishes seem less dreary
Nora Krank even favourited my tweet! I think that’s when Grace passed out.
I really thought that we would get more movies in this month, but we got a little bogged down re-watching favourites. So we still have a bunch on our must-watch list on Netflix:
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Home Alone – just me though – the kids begged me not to make them watch it, delicate flowers that they are, and we certainly can’t have a repeat of the ET incident
- Love Actually
- A Christmas Story Part 2 – hold the phone…there’s a part 2?!?
- The Legend of Frosty the Snowman
We took a vote on what was our Ultimate Holiday Movie out of what we had watched. If we allowed Grace to stuff the ballot box it would be Christmas with the Kranks for sure – definitely her favourite thing to watch right now! But Molly and I both voted for Arthur Christmas. We had never seen it before and we found it funny and had some good lessons too. Between you and me, I think Maggie is voting for My Little Pony. When you can tear her away from Dora’s Christmas Carol that is – PLEASE put that on Netflix before she ruins the DVD again!! Once you go streaming you just can’t go back!
Ultimate Holiday Movie – by vote – Arthur Christmas
Ultimate Holiday Movie – by number of times obsessively watched and talked about to all her friends – Christmas with the Kranks
Thank you to all of you that entered the draw for a Roku 3 and commented with your favourite holiday movies! It was quite an extensive list, and I decided to tally up which ones are the crowd favourites.
Reader’s Choice for Ultimate Family Movie – Elf
Here’s the full list in order of popularity:
- Elf (11)
- Home Alone (1 and 2 represented here) (10)
- It’s a Wonderful Life (8)
- A Christmas Story (5)
- The Polar Express (5)
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (3)
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (3)
- Love Actually (3)
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (3)
- Charlie Brown Christmas (2)
- Mickey’s a Christmas Carol (2)
- Christmas with the Kranks (the 2 people who voted for this are Grace’s new BFFs) (2)
- Shrek the Halls
- Santa Clause
- Nightmare Before Christmas
- To Grandmother’s House We Go
- Jack Frost
- Muppets Christmas Carol (I adore this movie)
- Garfield’s Christmas
Sorry about all these lists and numbers. I did an accounting webinar today and it takes 24 hours for all that nerdiness to wear off.
I received a Roku 3 and a huge box of snacks (that you can’t prove I ever had) from Staples.ca so that my family could crown the Ultimate Holiday Movie.